Many people have learnt to do a lot of things for themselves, because there are a whole lot of benefits to it. The advantages of being a handy man or having the capacity to handle some DIY tasks in your home cannot be overlabored. However, whether you are a professional craftsman or you enjoy handling you home or auto repairs, one of the tools that will always come handy is the air compressor, that’s why you need to get the best air compressor for home garage. In the past, people needed to purchase separate tools to power their drillers, wrenches, saws, hammers and others, but currently, you can power any of these by attaching it to the compressor.
Best Overall – Our Top Pick
Makita MAC320Q Quiet Series, 1-1/2 HP, 3 Gallon Compact, Oil-Free, Electric Air Compressor: Very Durable
- This runs at a very strong RPM of 1,750
- Has a complete roll cage type protective covering
- The dual piston pump is completely oil free
- It is of a very light weight design
- Noise output is just 60 decibels
The compressors are used in varying situations. From people who operate corner gas stations to operators of manufacturing plants, you will always find different types and sizes of air compressors being put to good use. The air compressors work by storing energy in the form of air in thanks, and powering the tools with the stored energy when called to action. Today, many people are picking up the small sized portable air compressors for their garages, basements and home workshops.
Online, people can purchase several types of air compressors that are designed to handle jobs of varying sizes and magnitude, like inflating of tires and pool toys, powering of staplers, drills, sanders, nail guns and others. The list is endless here, and that is why we have listed the advantages of getting the best air compressor for home garage below.
There are varying types of air compressors, and even among some types, there may also be some nuances in features. While some of the compressors generate their air pressure through rotating impellers, others work with positive displacement. The latter is preferred by contractors, woodworkers, mechanics and DIY home owners. The mechanism used to increase the pressure that the air that is stored in the thank gives out to power the tools is by reducing the size of the space that harbors the air. In most of them, this is achieved with a reciprocating piston.
However, one of the major problems that people in need of air compressors for their garage face is how to purchase the piece that will be good for them. This is not an easy thing to do. That is why we have made a comprehensive guide on the things to consider when searching for the best air compressor for home garage, and a review of the best air compressors for home garage on Amazon at the moment.
Top 7 Air Compressors for Home Garage From Amazon
01. Makita MAC320Q Quiet Series, 1-1/2 HP, 3 Gallon Compact, Oil-Free
- This runs at a very RPM of 1,750
- Has a complete roll cage type protective covering
- The dual piston pump is completely oil free
- It is of a very light weight design
- 60 decibel noise level
This is a very strong air compressor that is mostly built for utility and comfort by the Makita Group. Combining strong performance and lower noise, this fulfills the signature of Makita tools, making it one of the best air compressors for home garage.
It is specifically made for domestic use because of some of its pronounced features. The Makita air compressor weighs only 52.5 pounds, with a size of 19.09 x 20.08 x 15.08 inches.
It is powered through an electric cord and delivers a maximum of 1.5 Horsepower. When in use, this compressor gives out a maximum pressure of up to 135 Pound per Square Inch, and the sound level is not more than 60 dB. When you buy this, you will also get a 2 1/4″ Universal Quick Coupler. It does not have any inbuilt battery, and is sold with a one year warranty.
- The 60 dB noise output makes it very quiet
- The reduced rpm that it runs on enhances the life of the motor and its pump
- This is mostly designed to withstand all forms of storage environments, all forms of transporting and job sites, through its roll cage construction
- It can be easily maintained because its oil free
- Easily portable because of the light weight design
- Does not come with any battery
- The fitting that attaches the hose to the compressor is not strong enough
- No wheels to move it around
It is typical of Makita quality and performs the claimed functions excellently well – complete high quality and not like the cheaply made ones. Users commended how quiet the compressor is. Meanwhile a user complained about the fact that this heavy item does not have wheels and a handle for rolling.
Overall, it’s a great product
2. Craftsman Air Compressor - Best Value
- Portable 6 gallon tank capacity
- It has an oil free pump
- The pressure level is of 150 Max PSI
- It has a recovery time of 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI
The craftsman air compressor is a product of the United States, and one of its selling points is its portable nature, placing it among the best air compressors for home garage. It is manufactured in Jackson, Tennessee. This weighs only 32.5 pounds and covers 16.5 x 16.5 x 17.88 in diameter. It is sold in a package that has the air compressor and a lot of accessory kits, though it does not come with any battery. While at work, it gives out pressure of up to 150 bars
- The size of the tank makes it very portable, contains enough air and gives the needed pressure at the same time
- It’s very durable
- Requires no maintenance because of the oil free pump
- Enough cut-in pressure for varying applications due to the 150 Max PSI
- Quick recovery time for the compressor
- The 90 90 PSI may be too low
- Pressure may drop easily
- Doesn’t come with batteries
This got a lot of positive reviews. It’s perfect for sprinkler systems, though there are concerns about the safety control valve leaking. It is still an amazing product.
3. California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Oil-Free
- Ultra quiet 70 decibels sound level
- Oil free pump
- 20 horsepower with a reduced low amp draw of just 7.0 Amps
- 10 gallon air tank
- Wheels for easy movement
Looking to give the world something that its noise will not be a problem, the California Air Tools firm came up with this ultra-quiet air compressor. Apart from the reduced noise level at 70 db, one of its numerous selling points is the weight. It only weighs 82.5 pounds, with a size of 16 x 15.1 x 35.9 inches, placing it among the best air compressors for home garage. This item from California Tools consumes 110 volts and delivers 2 horsepower. It is made to work with both manual and auto drain, is made of metal, is powered through electric cord and has an amperage of 14.ement
- A very quiet unit with just 70 decibels of noise
- Can easily be moved around not just because of the lightweight, but because of the wheels that makes it easy to roll or drive around
- This requires little or no maintenance because of the oil free pump
- The 10 gallon air tank can store as much air as you need and give the highest of air pressures
- Sold with one year warranty
- The motor may blow up at anytime
- Some people complain of the components being of low quality
- Has no battery
This is almost perfect, and its quiet nature fulfills everything you’ll ever want in an air compressor. When the tank is completely empty, it takes little time for it to get filled again, and it works without much vibration. This product is a great.
4. DEWALT Air Compressor, 135-PSI Max
- Trim compressor with heavy duty one gallon tank
- Comes with a protective roll cage
- Durable oil free pump
- 135 psi for quick recovery
- 69 decibel sound and 2.6 amp motor
- Compressor comes with hose and nailer
- Sold with one year warranty
The trim air compressor from Dewalt is a versatile piece that weighs 29.5 pounds. This yellow colored piece that looks very alluring is 48 x 40 x 41 inches in size, and it is a stationary unit. It is a 120 volts piece that gives out 290 maximum pressure. It is powered through an electric cord and has a 69 decibels sound, which makes it a very quiet unit and among the best air compressors for home garage. For the air tank, it is one gallon in size, and the entire unit can be easily installed through the universal quick couplers system.
- Less noise due to the 69 decibel sound
- No need for any maintenance and durable due to the oil free pump
- More output due to the 135 psi for faster recovery and the 2.6 low AMP motor
- Comes with a protective cage for longer life and survival in all types of environments and job types
- With 9 inches height and 24 pounds weight, it’s very ideal for people that want to carry it around
- Item is stationary and can’t be moved with any wheels
- Complaints of air leakage
It has a mix of reviews from Amazon. It’s great, and makes people work their asses off. It’s a great little unit, which is loved because it’s quiet and does the job well. It’s a great compressor, after fixing the leaking regulator problem
5. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor, Oil-Free, 6 Gallon
- This durable item has a pump that is completely oil free
- Comes with 150 max PSI 6.0 gallon tank which is equivalent to 22.7 L
- 2.6 SCFM* delivered @ 90 PSI pump
- 78.5 operational noise level
- Comes with two universal couplers and high flow regulator
The Bostitch Air Compressor is one of the best in the market because of its numerous features. Weighing just 31 pounds, this promises to be one of the most portable out there. It is powered through electric cords and has a size of 17 x 17 x 19.25 inches. One of the major reasons why this is among the best air compressors for home garage is because you get pneumatics and automotive air tools when you purchase it. However, one of its downsides is the 78.5decibel sound that it gives out, which actually could be very loud.
- Comes with pneumatics and automotive air tools
- The two universal couplers make it easy for two users at a time
- It can easily be carried around and stored because of the 31 pounds weight
- The performance of the air tool is maximized by the universal couplers and the high flow regulator
- High efficiency motor for easy startup when the weather is cold
- The oil free pump entails no maintenance and durability
- The 6 gallon tank ensures that enough air is stored and that the pressure is strong enough
- A little noisier at 78.5 decibel
- Does not come with a battery
This has a lot of positive reviews from users. It is great for framing gun and you won’t regret purchasing it. It is a nice unit that gives out the power needed for auto tools. The rabid tank recovery when used with a suction gun for painting is awesome.
6. Ingersoll Rand Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 2 HP 4 Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- Lightweight, portable and ergonomic design
- Comes with user friendly front panel
- Has 79 decibel noise level
- Equipped with two disconcert couplers
- Comes with All Season select synthetic lubricants to be changed after 2000 hours of service
- Cast iron cylinder, enclosed frame, back shroud and increased pump lif
This piece from Ingersoll has a lot of features that endears it to people. Weighing 77 pounds, the twin stack item comes in beige color and is 19 x 19 x 17 inches in size. It is made of iron materials and powered through an electric cord. When working, it consumes 120 Volts (AC) and gives a maximum pressure of 9.31 Bars. When you purchase this ergonomic and portable piece, you will also get the All Season select lubricant and a user manual in the package, because it is one of the best air compressors for home garage.
- The increased pump life, iron cylinder, back shroud, and enclosed frame all make this very durable
- With the normal change-out for the lubricants, the item lasts longer
- The two disconnect couplers allows two people to use the compressor at the same time
- The front panel makes it very easy to operate
- Best for DIYers because of the portable, ergonomic and lightweight design
- Comes with no battery
- The 79 decibel sound may be too noisy for some people
It’s a mixed set of reviews from. It is described as a great buy, and it works well and has been so for many years. You will love the little compressor, as it’s one of the best
7. BILT HARD Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, 150 PSI 1.5HP, Oil Free: Amazing Tank Size
- Gives out 1.5 horsepower and a speed of 3500 RPM maximum
- Comes with an oil free pump
- Has a maximum pressure of 150 PSI and 2.6CFM@90PSI
- Comes with two universal couplers
- Comes with accessories like 17 pieces of air tools and a 25 feet 1/4″ pvc Air Hose
- Has 6 gallons pancake tank that weighs 34.4 lbs
This is the last in the list of the best air compressors for home garage, and it has been chosen because of its numerous features, among which is the 6 gallon tank. This item weighs 42.6 pounds only, which means that it can easily be lifted and carried around without any problems. It has a size of 21.1 x 18.6 x 17.7 inches and is powered through an electric cord. The mirror of the piece is adjusted manually, and it consumes 12 volts of electric current.
- The tank size makes it easy to store enough air for maximum work pressure, while the weight makes it very easy to carry around
- With the 17 pieces of accessories and the long hose, it caters to a lot of needs in the garage
- The two couplers make for double connectivity and use, while quick recovery is ensured by the 2.6CFM@90PSI
- More nails and other items are easily driven due to its 150 PSI maximum pressure
- The 120V/60Hz, 11A, Peak 1.5HP, Max speed 3500 RPM makes for very easy startup even in cold weather
- The oil free pump entails that no maintenance and longevity
- Comes with no battery
- No wheels to roll it around
Many users recommend the item. It doesn’t have much of a strong and sturdy look, but once you couple it, it works so perfectly. It is worth buying.
Benefits/Positives to Owning the Best Air Compressor for Home Garage
Of course, the air compressors are very essential in handling a lot of tasks, but you may not enjoy these benefits if you fail to get best air compressor for home garage. In order to increase your resolve to get the right air compressors, below are some of the benefits of having a good one.
- Air compressor is very essential in woodworking projects, as it will ensure that you won’t have to make use of other hand tools manually. What this does for you is that it saves you not only money, but a lot of time. Even the pneumatic nail guns that are powered by compressors are cheaper than the ones operated by batteries. They are also lighter in weight, and therefore can be maneuvered easily.
- For auto repairs and works, the best air compressor for home garage can help you save a lot of the money that you give to the mechanic. With air compressor, you can easily install a new PCV valve, tune up your car or even change the fuel filter. You can achieve a lot more with this by following the instructions on the repair manual. The air compressor is so effective that you can even fix a ratchet tool on it and use it to remove bolts that are positioned in very tiny spaces or the rusted ones.
- Another area where the best air compressor for home garage becomes very advantageous is when it comes to painting of some items or places in your home. In fact, with this, you can spray paint your walls, surfaces, furniture, and even your vehicles. This sounds like one tool doing everything for you. Just consider your kitchen cabinets getting stained by the daily work you do in there, and the fact that you can just attach the sprayer on the air compressor and get it repainted. It is as money saving as it is very exciting, and the good thing is that the finishing when you use an air compressor could be very fine and smooth.
- Do you know that you can also clean your home with this? Of course, it is full of air that comes out with force, so, that sawdust, dirt or debris filled part of your house, office or workshop could be swept with the air compressor.
There are many other things you can actually achieve with this tool in your home by attaching many accessories to it, and the good thing is that using it will save you a whole lot of money. Also, it always leaves your work very clean and classy. This way, items created with this are always attractive and sells faster than ones that are completely handmade.
The Major Buying Considerations and Frustrations for Getting the Best Air Compressor for Home Garage
Buying the best air compressor for home garage should be done with a lot of considerations in mind. When you set out to pick up any air compressor out there, the types of work you will be doing with it should be the utmost decider of which one you should pick. Whether as a professional woodworker, carpenter, vulcanizer, plumber, handyman or a DIYer, you need to consider the type of work you intend to be doing, the place you are doing the work, and what you want to achieve with the tool. Below are the streamlined points to look at before you purchase any.
- Compressor Type and Noise Level
The two major types of compressors are the single stage and double stage types. With the single stage, you can execute low to medium level tasks, while you will need the double stage type for works that involve pneumatic tools regularly. so, if your work in the garage is just about tires, kids toys and mattresses, then the single stage type will do just fine, as it comes with a few of these tools and attachments. But if many DIY projects involving woodworks, plumbing and painting are involved, then the bigger double stage version should come handy, as it is equipped with lots of attachments and tools for different types of jobs.
Here also, the noise level is captured. While the double stage air compressors are costlier than the single stage types, they make less noise than the single stage types, and this is very paramount. While people that need best air compressor for home garage may not need them mostly for the type of work that double stage compressors are majorly meant for, they should also consider the noise that the single phase will give out when in use.
- Safety Valve
One of the major features to consider properly before you purchase an air compressor is the safety valve. This is a feature that most of the compressors come with, and its work is to assist in releasing the compressed air from the tank. Because your tank can experience rust due to condensation, there is a level of pressure that the compressed air in your tank must maintain, and the safety valve helps you release the air to maintain the required pressure, so you are almost always better off with compressors that come with it. You should also consider the blow nozzle and the attachments it can accommodate when searching for the best air compressor for home garage. To make it easier for you to inflate kids’ bounce houses, balls or car tires, these other attachments would be necessary.
- Tank Size
You have to consider the tank sizes of the compressors based on the types of projects you intend to handle with them, and how much you are willing to shell out. The amount of usage also matters. If for instance, you want to use this for spray painting, then a larger tank would be necessary. So, the double stage would be the best air compressor for home garage in such case.
- Power Source
When it comes to power source, the compressors are divided into two types also. The first set makes use of gas power, while the other is powered through electricity. If you need this for indoor activities, then you should go for the electric powered type that does not emit gas fumes. However, now that we are talking about your garage, the best air compressor for home garage should be the gas powered type, because it is used outdoor. You should only go for the other if you have the means, and needs a quieter garage.
When getting an air compressor for home garage, you should check the number of purposes you need it for and how much it can serve those. This is not just for your vehicles, you will also need it most times for some serious repair work and a few household works too. If you understand that the air compressor may be needed to fix your leaking roof or to repair your broken sofa, then you should go for the one with increased CMF, longer running time, and more horsepower.
While you should go for the best at the most affordable rate, the tasks you will be performing with it still stand as the tallest consideration. The best way to purchase the best air compressor for home garage is to make a list of the types of work you intend to be doing with it first and the tools you will be working with. With this, you can now list the products that meet these criteria, and are durable in nature, before you look at the price. After making this list, you can now pick the most affordable from the listed. Never go for cheap items that will break down tomorrow.
- Ease of Use
This will mostly depend on the size of your home garage. We don’t all have big garages, so you need to consider the size of your space and what the installation will look like. Don’t buy a piece that will occupy most of the spaces in your garage. Also, never install this in congested area, because constant outflow of air is needed by every compressor to avoid overheating. So enough space should exist in the area. It shouldn’t be placed facing the wall or squeezed into a packed place. So, be sure that these conditions are in place before you make a purchase. With enough space, it will allow you to attach any tool of your choice and use the tools as you like.
- Oil Vs. Oil Free
Air compressors of the oil lubricated type cannot work well without oil. The moving parts are lubricated by oil to avoid wear and rust. The ones that come with oil are normally heavier than the oil free ones. There is no oil in oil free compressors as attested to in the name. They are lighter in weight and smaller in size than the oil type. To get the best air compressor for home garage, you should consider these before buying.
Understanding Compressor Specifications
People can purchase several types of air compressors that are designed to handle jobs of varying sizes and magnitude, like inflating of tires and pool toys, powering of staplers, drills, sanders, nail guns and others. There are varying types of air compressors, and even among some types, there may also be some nuances in features.
While some of the compressors generate their air pressure through rotating impellers, others work with positive displacement. The latter is preferred by contractors, woodworkers, mechanics and DIY home owners. The mechanism used to increase the pressure that the air that is stored in the thank gives out to power the tools is by reducing the size of the space that harbors the air. In most of them, this is achieved with a reciprocating piston.
There are also single stage and double stage air compressors. The difference is that the double stage gives out more output. They can deliver as high as 200 PSI air pressure output
Air compressors are also of the oil lubricated or oil free types. In the former, the moving parts are lubricated by oil to avoid wear and rust. The ones that come with oil are normally heavier than the oil free ones. There is no oil in oil free compressors as attested to in the name.
Questions to Ask When Choosing an Air Compressor
Before you pick an air compressor, you have to ask some essential questions. They have to border on the voltage, the horsepower, the real RPM, the noise level, and the actual output. Other things like the RPI and the warranty are also necessary.
Maintenance/Safety Tips of Best Air Compressor for Home Garage
There are some maintenance and safety tips that must be adhered to when using the best air compressor for home garage. For safety;
- The user must wear the necessary PPE
- The machine must be kept cool to avoid overheating
- Self-retracting cords should be used to avoid tripping accidents
- Spaces clos to exits must not be obstructed
- Before handling, the user must learn how to use the equipment
How to Maintain Best Air Compressor for Home Garage
To maintain the best home compressor for home garage to last as long as it is supposed, you must follow these maintenance tips, namely;
- Read the instructions manual thoroughly
- The tanks must be drained of all moisture
- Fasteners must be properly tightened
- Air filters must be regularly checked and changed when necessary
- The intake vents must be cleaned
- Oil compressor must be checked and changed when necessary
- The hoses must be regularly checked
- Fuel tank must be kept clean if it’s powered by gas
- Screw and heat exchangers must be cleaned
- You must check the safety shutdown always
How to Set Air Compressor Pressure
To set the air compressor cut in pressure, start it and allow to run until cut out pressure is reached, then open a drain to empty out the air. Observe how the pressure is coming out, wait for the compressor to start and record the pressure, and you have the cut in pressure. Then use the big set-in screw and adjust the pressure by turning clockwise to increase. Close the drain drive and allow it to run till the cut out pressure is reached. Do this continuously until you have achieved the desired cut in pressure.
For the cut out pressure, record the pressure of the machine the last time it ran, increase the pressure by turning clockwise or counter clockwise to reduce. Open the drain valve and wait for the pressure to drop as low as you want, and close the valve. Allow the compressor to stop and then check the cut out pressure. Repeat this until you have the pressure you want.
How to Use an Air Compressor
To use an air compressor, you have to check the oil level first, if it is not the oil free type. Fix the hose to the valve, connect the power tool to the hose, plug it to the power outlet, wear all PPEs, test the safety valve, turn the compressor on, check the pressure need of the tool, adjust the regulator to get the normal PSI and go ahead and operate the tool while the tank is full of air.
When choosing the motor for the best air compressor for home garage, consider the horsepower, tank size, cubic feet per minute, and the duty circle. Also check whether its oil or oil free, the type of motor it runs on and whether it is the pistons or rotary screw system.
To do this to your air compressor for home garage, you simply need to switch on wires in the motor, and also change the plug. However, you have to remember that this will make it require a double of the amperage at half the voltage.
You start by checking the oil level for the oil ones. After this, attach the hose to the regulator, fix the tool into the regulator valve and attach coupler onto the valve of the tire. This is followed by plugging the compressor to the power source, and then testing the safety valve. From here, turn on the compressor and allow the tank to have enough pressure, after which you confirm the needed pressure, and adjust the pressure regulator to match with what is needed. Pump the tire while the tank has air.
Confirm the oil level if necessary, plug the hose into the regulator; attach the hose to the needed tool, then plug the unit to a power source. After this, test the safety valve, and start the compressor. Allow to get enough pressure, and then check the pressure of the tool to know what it needs and adjust accordingly. With the air in the tank, fill the paintball tank.
For this, you have to check the oil level if it’s necessary, after which you fix the hose to the regulator, plug the hose to the tool, and connect to power source. After these, check the safety valve and turn on the compressor, allowing time for enough pressure to build. It is now time to check the tool’s rightful pressure and adjust accordingly, after which you go ahead and refill the co2 tank with air in the compressor tank
Confirm the oil level for oil air compressors, and then connect the hose to the regulator and to the tool, before connecting the unit to power source. After that, check the safety valve, start the unit and allow it to gather enough pressure. Mix and pour the paint inside the tool. Check if you have enough pressure and adjust as you should, after which you go ahead and spray paint with the air in the tank
The Clear Winner
After all said and done, the Makita MAC320Q Quiet Series is still the winner. It combines all the essential strengths needed in a good compressor. It has an amazing voltage to horsepower ratio. Amazing RPM and PSI, very low noise level and confirmed longevity. So, it trumps all the others in many things. It ticks most of the boxes more than the others, and this makes it the most appropriate to buy. A look at the reviews by users of the 1-1/2 HP, 3 Gallon Compact, Oil-Free, Electric Air Compressor also attests to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit.